Thursday, February 08, 2007

 

Roadsters

My youngest daughter started daycare this week, so the wife can finally get out. Step one is getting a new car. It's unfortunately I sold off the convertible when we got the minivan. Here's the list of roadsters we've considered

1. Viper - This is her dream car, but it's too expensive for us right now. The older one are in our price range, but she doesn't want something that's 8+ years old.

2. Z4 - Strong contender, but still a bit pricey. The loaded models are $45K to $50K out the door.

3. Miata - My wife thinks it looks lame.

4. Audi TT - She really like it for a while, but doesn't like the look anymore. I think it looks like a VW Bug with a lower roof.

5. S2000 - No automatic option

6. Z350 - A guy car

7. Lotus Elise - My son's favorite in our price range, but it's not a convertible and it's a guy car. I'll go test drive this with my son.

8. Boxster - No one liked it. (Update: We changed our minds and got this car. The look started to grow on us, especially after looking at the real thing a few times.)

9. Eclipse - My wife thinks her '97 was the best model ever

10. Solstice - Looks great, but got poor reviews. We'll go look at the newer ones with the 260hp.

11. SKY - I hate it when someone captializes every letter in a word. My wife doesn't think it looks as nice as the Solstice, but it's got better reviews.

12. MINI - She thinks it's gay, if one can imagine a car with sexual orientation.


I'm considering getting a car, but I'll have to see how much is left over after the wife gets hers. Regardless, I'll be getting a used car:
1. Miata - For autocross and Miata Spec racing. Spec is ~$12K for car only or ~$5K for donor

2. Neon - For autocross and Neon Spec racing. I prefer the Miata.

3. '63 to '67 Vette - That's until I research these and found out how much they cost.

4. Pre '63 Vette - Same as the above, but I already knew it's out of my price range before I started looking.

5. Early 80s RX7 - These were great for Spec racing. Spec racer with extras is ~$4K w/ trailer

6. '93+ RX 7 - Biggest bang for the buck, especially if some kid's already put a bunch of mods on it.

7. Evo - Great cars, but I'm cheap so I figure the '93 RX 7 will provide a similar ride for less $. I'll keep an eye on these in the used market in the coming years. Plus it's all wheel drive and I believe there's a rally club a couple of hours north of here. An old Audi or Subaru may be more cost effective here.

8. Cataham like kit cars - If I ever get the time to DIY or find a good deal from a professional build, I would love to get one of these. It's not much safer than a motorcycle, but damn fun to drive. A Super 7 is preferred.

9. Alfa Remeo - I love that the stick is on the dash, but I heard the reliability is pretty bad. The replacement parts are harder to find and more expensive.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?