Friday, March 09, 2007

 

Miata Update

The original tires had good treads left, but the front right tire is damaged. The side wall is tearing and I don't feel safe driving on it. I replaced it with a set of Hankook RS-2 195/60R14, but bother keeping the old tires. It's a good performance tire and the only tire rated above H in this size. The Miata can also take 205/55R14 but those are racing tires and the tread life is around 50 and beside wearing out quickly, they would disqualify my car from the Stock/Street Class in autocross. I went with a cheaper tire place that doesn't offer free rotation, but I figure on the Miata, I can do it faster myself then bringing it in. I just need to get that 2nd jack I left at my parents and then it'll be like a 15 minute job. The tire guy suggested I rotate these tires every 3K instead of the typical 5K.

I missed my first autocross this Sunday due to daylight savings. No biggie since my son and I just went for a drive on Highway 9 and a hike in the Santa Cruz mountains. We found ourselves on a narrow road with blind corners for a short while. I pressed the honk and we laughed at how weak it sounded. For safety's sake, I turned around took a slightly wider road. I drove very slowly and press my honk on every turn, but we still have a close run in with a biker.


I searched the web and decent reviews for a mechanic in Sunnyvale, Zuccato's Auto Care. I may drop it off there after my wife's car gets picked up from Stevens Creek Porsche for some repairs covered by the Warranty. I would want the 30K service and to get a 2nd opinion on the repairs suggested by the shop that check this car out when I brought it. I'm still looking for a decent mechanic for my wife, but I don't know too many Porsche owners.

I found a more consistent way to heel and toe. Instead of rotation my right foot, I keep a stiff foot and move my right knee to the right. This lets a bigger muscle do the blipping.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?