Monday, May 21, 2007

 

1st Autocross

It was a long course for autocross. Top Miata stock class time was about 1 minute. I got halfway thought the course and got lost in the salmon. I got a DNF on my first run. I watch the other cars do their run and memorized the course up to the salmon before and 2nd run. I finished 10 seconds behind the ES leader on my 2nd run, a very slow time. The improvement will be easy. Memorize the course and fix the problem with my car that cause white smoke to come out the back. I didn't dare a 3nd run with the smoke problem. Still, it was quite an experience and very enjoyable.
Next time, I aim for 5 seconds or less of the ES leaders. They got slick tires, so I'm already out 2 seconds. The aggressive alignment, better brakes, shocks, and front anti roll bar is worth almost another second. In the novice class, I do all those modifications minus the slick autocross tires. I have the brake pads, but won't put those in until the current ones are burned out. The front anti-roll bar is about $100 new, so I'll keep an eye for one on craigslist. I'm check during the next meet to see what suspension modifications are allowed for the stock class and where I can go to get the proper alignment. Most shops are not precise enough to get dial in the exact spec. I'll also look for a harness as I was thrown around a bit last time. The rules allow the harness to be used, but I can't cut 2 slots in the seats for the shoulder straps.
I cleaned my engine off this weekend. If I don't see any leaks in the next few days, I'll install the new plugs and wires. I'll need to learn how to adjust the timing, but first I need to get a timing light with induction; $50 or so bucks from Sears.

I brought magnetic sheets over the weekend to put my number and class on for the next session.

I also signed up for some driving classes. One autocross class before the next met and a track class now that my roll bar is installed. I checked out a video on the Thunderhill course, and it looks awesome. I can't wait to get out there and I already have the course memorized from the video and map on their web site. I got the coming weekend to bleed my brakes and I'll be good to go for both sessions.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?