Friday, November 16, 2007

 

Infineon on Nov 11th

I was out there on 11 Nov 2007 with NASA. It was the Indy configuration with turn 9 and NASCAR 7. This was about as close to a high speed autocross as I've seen, but still with plenty of time to think about your grocery list. I was running HPDE 3 which starts with HPDE 2 passing rules on the 1st sessions and progresses to open track by the last session barring too many instances.

The cars are generally more powerful and more heavily modified in this group than HPDE 1 and 2. I would venture to say 30%+ of the cars run racing tires, and everyone else had high performance street tires. I've replaced my 195 R14 Hankook RS2 with a 195 R14 Falken Azenis. They seem to stick a bit better but wear quicker. It's possible that I need an alignment again, but I want to wait until I get a new suspension setup.

Infineon being so close to the Bay Area had a much larger attendance than Thunderhill. I guess we had about 50 people in HPDE 3 all running at the same time. About half the group just moved up from HPDE 2 and a good portion of the participants had not been on Infineon before, me included. I ran into someone I meet on my 1st track day who drives a white BMW. I’ll be sending him updates of my future track days and hopefully meet up again.

The track conditions were very good that day. It rain the day before, but what little water was on the track dried out by the 2nd session. There was also a 2 hour of racing before HPDE groups hit the track, so the track did have some fresh rubber laid out for us.

This was the 1st time I did not touch dirty all day. I felt much more controlled and was able to put the car pretty much where I wanted. I was pretty smooth all. With stiffer springs, I should be able to push a bit hard on the turns and still be in the sweet suspension travel range.

Driving the Track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzucv0N-IM

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?